Monday, December 01, 2008

Jamie King Gets Caught Reading


Jamie King, an English Major here at UM, was named Senior Elite in English at Elite Night this year. We caught up to Jamie before the Thanksgiving holiday and asked her a few questions.

What are you reading?

I am reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Why did you choose this book?

Anthony Burgess is one of my favorite authors. I first read this novel in high school and fell in love with the very nature of the book, and Kubrick’s film adaptation just furthered my love of this novel even more. Now, as an English major, there are so many ways in which to analyze and read A Clockwork Orange. I love Burgess’ command of the English language—his use of the English language is almost as good as Vladimir Nabokov’s in Lolita. But most of all, I find Alex, the main character, one of the most captivating villains (or is he?) in literature. I hope in the future, Sigma Tau Delta’s Book Club will read this novel. I bet that we would have wonderful discussions on A Clockwork Orange.

How do you use your campus library?

The campus library is wonderful place to go to get sources for my papers. The website and databases that the library provides help me find articles and books for my research. Furthermore, I like how the library is always quiet whenever I visit. Because of this quietness, the library offers a perfect place to study. There have been a couple of times when my friend and I have went to the library to study, and each time we go, we always accomplish what needs to be done. Last but not least, I really appreciate the fact that the faculty and staff at the library are willing to let Sigma Tau Delta’s Book Club hold our meetings there for when we do not have a place to conduct our meetings. This fact will be helpful to us in the future for when Hill House is booked. Overall, my experiences with the campus library have been pleasant and rewarding. Keep up the good work!


Special Thanks to Joel Bullock and Jason Cooper for their work in this installment of our Get Caught Reading Series.

No comments: