Thursday, November 01, 2007

Internet Librarian, Continued

You never know when you'll run into someone from Montevallo! I began my presentation on Tuesday by asking if anyone knew the University of Montevallo. Right in the front row, there was Virginia Haynie Gause, now the Web Librarian at the University of Texas Pan American. She's a graduate of UM and proud of it.

From my side of the podium, our panel on Second Life went very well. We showed the potential that Second Life and similar virtual worlds have for reaching out to people, as venues for instruction and experiential learning, for connecting people from around the world, and for having fun. Before I got into Second Life, I never would have thought I'd stand in front of a room full of people and discuss what to do when zombies attack a library, but I did it on Tuesday.

Yesterday, I attended a fascinating presentation on mobile technologies and their potential for library applications. This is a rapidly changing arena, as anyone who has seen the iPhone knows. Imagine being able to carry around your library catalog in your pocket! Or being able to use your smart phone to register for classes through the Forum portal!

I'm heading out on a whale watch this morning and then home again tomorrow. See you all next week!

No comments: